Arts Calendar 04/30/14-05/04/14
April 30th through May 4th
• An evening of listening and dancing to music will be featured at the University of Minnesota, Crookston campus, Saturday evening, May 3rd from 8 to 10 pm. The Crookston Jazz Band, under the direction of TJ Chapman, will play music from the swing era, along with pieces from the Duke Ellington and Count Basie libraries, in Bede Ballroom, Sergeant Student Center at UMC. That’s Saturday, May 3rd from 8 to 10 p.m. everyone is welcome – admission is free.
• The Bemidji Symphony Orchestra, celebrating its 75th anniversary, presents “Stirring Celebrations!” The Bemidji Symphony Orchestra anniversary performance will be held at the Sanford Center in Bemidji on Sunday, May 4th.
• The Sixth Annual Fiesta in the Spirit of Cinco de Mayo will be held on Monday, May 5th at the University of Minnesota, Crookston campus – in Kiehle Auditorium at 7 pm. Local artists featured at this year’s event are Tony Diaz and Bryan Sanchez. Diaz is a native Crookston Guitar player and singer.
• On Wednesday, May 7 at 7:00 p.m. the Ada-Borup band students, grades 5 through 12 will present their “Spring Concert” at the Ada, Minnesota School. Root Beer floats will be served during a jazz performance with a free will offering to help raise money for a band trip to Disneyworld in 2018.
• The Spring Gala: Optical Illusions at the Plains Art Museum will be held on Saturday evening, May 3rd, from 7 PM to Midnight at the Plains Arts Museum of Moorhead/Fargo. There will also be dancing to Diane Miller and the “Silver Daggers” and the “Carluster Crumplebee Orchestra.”
• The University of North Dakota’s Department of Music presents its 2nd Annual Opera Gala, Friday, May 2nd at the historic Masonic Temple Auditorium in downtown Grand Forks. The cast consists of auditioned UND voice students and UND Voice Faculty with the UND Chamber Orchestra under the direction of Dr. Alejandro Drago. The doors open at 7:30 p.m. with performance time at 8 pm Friday evening, May 2nd.
• The Moorhead/Fargo Community Theater presents “The Bikinis” Friday, May 2nd at 7:30 pm, Saturday, May3rd at 2:00 pm and 7:30 pm and Sunday, May 4th at 2:00 pm. All performances are at The Stage at Island Park in Fargo.